Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Angels

On my counter in my kitchen sits a slate sign that a very good friend gave me years ago. It comes from Ireland. So does my friend. It is very special to me and it has sat in every kitchen since I lived on West 82nd Street in New York. It slipped and fell onto the counter once, and broke in two. But I lovingly glued it back together. And it still sits on the counter. On it there is a picture of an angel, and a saying: "Angels are often disguised as friends".

How true is that?

My friend who gave me this plaque is, as you can imagine, a very special person to me. Someone who has been in my life a long time, but someone I know will always be there. She's been there, thick and thin. Boyfriends, jobs, apartments, pets... and yes, even a husband have all come and gone. Thick and thin. She, in a lot of ways, has been an angel to me over the years.

Since I moved here 3 and a half years ago, I really struggled to make new friends. It was hard. I didn't find people that I clicked with. I missed my old friends.

Finally!! Finally!! I did! I met some wonderful girls that I have so much fun with now. We talk almost every day. We share our problems, triumphs and excitement. I was really saved from the boredom, the depression and the anxiety of not having any good girlfriends brings.

Tonight, as I am cleaning up after having a couple of girlfriends over for wine, food, and a good chat, I notice my plaque.

Angels are often disguised as friends.

Yes, these two are also my angels. Aren't I lucky!?

5 comments:

  1. Please know that you too, are an angel, in way too many ways to describe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb I have been surrounded by angels for quite a few years now, the human kind and the heavenly kind. They sure are a blessing.
    Lovely post.
    Peggy xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Popping over to say hi Deb.....hope all is well in your world dear friend.
    Big hugs
    Peggy xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Angels are often disguised as friends."
    Deb came back here today to read this post again and send you waves of love and light.
    Hope all is well in your world.
    Hugs
    Peggy xxxxx

    ReplyDelete