Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Pasta, Pasta, Pasta!!!


I get so tired of pasta sometimes when marathon training. I mean pasta with tomato sauce is great. Then there are the variations of pasta with meat sauce, pasta with meatballs, or pasta pesto. But at the end of the day, it's still pasta.

As I mentally prepared for my 20-mile training run tomorrow, I knew that tonights dinner needed to include pasta. There is nothing better than that to prepare the body for a long run. So I got this email from the Real Simple website that said: "A Delicious Chicken and Apple Recipe". That got me to thinking... at 3 pm! What's for dinner? I have chicken. I have apples that need to be eaten. So I put this recipe together:

1/2 cup diced onions (I use sweet)
4 cloves of fresh garlic
1 lb. chicken breasts (about 3)
flour
salt & pepper
2 tbsp. canola or olive oil
1 cup of apple juice (as a Mom, I always have this on hand)
3 small golden delicious apples
3 tbsp. honey
3 tbsp. mustard

1. Saute onion and garlic in oil until onions are transparent.
2. salt and pepper the chicken then coat in the flour.
3. Saute the chicken until done, about 3 minutes each side.
4. add the apple juice and apples, and continue to cook about 3 minutes.
5. Remove chicken and set aside.
6. Continue to cook the sauce until apples are soft.
7. Add honey and mustard to taste.

It came out really good. Of course I served it over whole wheat pasta. Lots of it. The kids liked it too. It was a variation of things that they like anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment